Pages

Tuesday 2 August 2016

End of the experiment


If you've been reading this blog then you know that I have been an enthusiastic user of the Tsu social media service. I was initially attracted by their model of paying users based on views and for recruiting, but soon discovered an active community of people interested in making the most of what the internet can do. Since October 2014 I made well over $300 and withdrew $200. The rest went to charities using Tsu and on a few purchases, including an original painting. I know others made many thousands by recruiting lots of people and/or building a large following.

I was using it earlier today, but when I got home from work the app was not working and the homepage showed the message below.

It looks like they ran out of investor funding. They had a fairly large team operating from offices in New York. That couldn't be cheap. The HypeStat site reckoned they were making a few hundred dollars per day and if they were really only taking their 10% share that was not going to go far. They struggled to build an active userbase. Just over 5 million signed up, but I estimate that only about 1% were really using it and a lot of those were really just spamming the site to try and earn something.

I'm a little sad about this as I had invested a lot of time in helping to build something. I made a lot of friends. I will be able to stay in touch with some of them as we hooked up on other services.

I have to think about what I will do now. I enjoy blogging and may do that more on this blog and elsewhere. I am still a fan of Google+ and you can find me here. I don't really use my Twitter account and Facebook is mainly reserved for close friends and family. You can generally find me on other sites as steevc,

I have looked at some other social sites that pay, but none has come close to paying what Tsu has. Anything less is not really worth my time when I have other things I want to do. So I may step back for a while and enjoy life.

Update (2021): Google+ is dead too now. Find me on Hive

No comments:

Post a Comment